Skip to main content

Pandu Plans Digvijaya to Appease Dhritarashtra : Episode 15 (02-06-13)

Scene 1

It is the continuation of the last scene from the previous episode. Dhritarshtra is talking exuberantly to Gandhari when Vidura enters the scene. Dhritarashtra says airily to Vidura that though he is blind he is aware of all the political goings-on in and around Hastinapura. He says in the absence of an able ruler, there is bound to be mismanagement and chaos in the country.

Dhritarashtra

: After Pandu's marriage, Shalya (brother of Madri) hasn't been paying taxes properly, isn't it? Brother, relationships and politics are issues that should remain unrelated. We should be strict about not mixing them up. When I become the emperor, I will not allow such irresponsible acts. Oh, yes, Vidura. You didn't tell me why you came here.

Vidura

: I heard that since the morning you haven't eaten anything. That's why I came to call you.

Dhritarashtra

: Food? I am so happy that food is the last thing on my mind. I won't even be able to sleep well tonight. You go and eat. I am saying this not as your elder brother but as the emperor of this country.

Vidura leaves. Gandhari rejoices to see Dhritarashtra so happy.

Scene 2

Bhishma and Gandhari discuss about the preparations for the pattabhishekam (coronation) ceremony the next day. Bhishma says he has personally invited Vyasa, Parasurama and other venerable elders. Vidura enters the chambers and asks if he could have a word with them.

Vidura

: Have you told Dhritarshtra that Pandu is going to be crowned tomorrow? Dhritarashtra is under the impression that he is going to be crowned tomorrow. He is very determined about becoming the next emperor. I am afraid that he won't take it kindly when he comes to know that not he but Pandu is going to be crowned the king.

Bhishma

: Dhritarastra knows about the religious scriptures and tradition. How did he still get such thoughts in his mind?

Minister (who is standing nearby)

: This desire did not spring up suddenly today in Dhritarashtra's mind. Dhritarashtra has been entertaining these thoughts ever since he was eight years old.

Satyavati

: I don't understand what you are saying!

Minister

: An incident that happened when the prince was barely eight years old comes vividly to my mind. I went to wish the prince on his eighth birthday. I called him by name. The prince was offended that I had done so instead of addressing him more respectfully as a prince. I apologized and started leaving, but the prince pulled out a pearl necklace so fiercely that the pearls scattered all over the place. I tried to call an attendant to pick up the pearls, but the prince made me pick them up myself. I could never forget this affront.

Vidura

: You would now have understand Dhritarashtra is highly obstinate from what I and the minister have said.

Queen Satyavati is now worried and instructs the minister to call Yugabodhan, an expert in religious matters to see if Dhritarshtra could be crowned a king.

Yugabodhana emphatically rules out such a possibility, saying the Shstras are very clear about the 'anga lakshana' (body characteristics) of the king. The king cannot have physical deformities, he says and asks how a blind king could rule the country. Even if the queen consulted other learned men, they would suggest the same, Yugabodhana insists. Everybody is worried how best could this be communicated to Dhritarashtra without provoking his anger or frustration.

Bhishma

: Who but you can do this, mother? Only you can control him.

Scene 3

Dhritarashtra is putting on ornaments to get ready for the coronation, with Gandhari helping him to get dressed up. Queen Satyavati enters the chamber.

Dhritarashtra

: I was just thinking of you. Who else but you would delight in seeing me become the emperor of this country? Rajamata, do I look like the emperor with this gem-embedded crown? Why aren't you speaking? Have become mute with the happiness of seeing me looking handsome as an emperor? In a few minutes, my dream is going to be staged and I am rehearsing for the occasion. Take a good look at me! Even Indra who rules the heaven would stand no comparison with me, isn't it?

Dhritarashtra hears the queen sob and says he too feels sentimental the same way, but being the emperor, he is having a hold on himself.

Satyavati

: Dhritarashtra, we are going to crown Pandu today.

Dhritarashtra is startled, and he drops the gem-crusted jewellery on the floor. He goes berserk, toppling and throwing whatever he lays his hands on. Satyavati explains they took this step only after consulting pundits and learned men, but Dhritarashtra is convinced that all of them have conspired and deceived him. Satyavati tries to console him saying his children would rule the land but Dhritarashtra says they would deceive his children too. In frustration, he pushes away Satyavati who staggers and falls down. Her cries for help brings everybody to the scene including Bhishma, Vidura, Pandu and Shakuni. The frenzied Dhritarashtra doesn't let anybody come near him. Shakuni assures everyone that he would take care and sends everybody away.

Later, Shakuni is seen pensively pacing up and down and rolling his dice.

Scene 4

Pandu is lost in thoughts in his bed room. His wife Kunti is pestering him to have food and Madri is sitting on the bed watching him. Shakuni enters the room grandiosely wishing the future emperor.

Pandu

: Tell me what you have come for. Already, I am feeling very confused.

Shakuni

: Dhritarashtra is my elder sister's husband, but I would not say what he did is right.

Pandu

: Shakuni, Dhritarashtra is my brother first, and then your brother-in-law. I cannot tolerate anybody speaking against him.

Shakuni

: It is your generosity that makes you speak thus. But he did behave in an uncivilized way!

Pandu

: If you speak once again in this fashion, your head will not remain on your neck. If my brother Dhritarashtra heard this, he would break your bones.

Shakuni

: Let my life go in the service of Hastinapura. You the emperor of Hastinapura have so much love for your brother, but he doesn't seem to realize it. I spoke so in my frustration. Let me go now.

Pandu

: Wait, you came to tell me something. Say that now.

Shakuni

: I don't want to offend you anymore.

Pandu

: Your speaking ill of my brother irked me, that's why I was offended. It's ok now.

Shakuni

: Your love for your brother brings tears to my eyes. I came to console you, but when I saw how much you loved your brother, an idea that could easily solve your problem came to my mind. But no, forget it; you may mistake me.

Pandu

: Tell me what your plans are for solving this problem amicably. I won't mistake you.

Shakuni

: You are going to be the emperor: there is no change in that plan. But listen patiently; what will a newly crowned emperor do? He will go on a grand conquest for expanding the borders. Even Princess Kunti would be conversant with this tradition.

Pandu

: what is the connection between my going on a world conquest and my elder brother's anger? I don't get it!

Shakuni

: When you go for the digvijaya, your brother will get the opportunity to rule the country in your name. Two mangoes with one stone! We would not have to go against kshatriya dharma and your brother will be happy too. Princess Kunti will agree with me too, don't you agree Princess?

Kunti

: My Lord, don't decide on anything in haste!

Shakuni

: The Princess seems to have other ideas. And that is understandable. Is Digvijaya such an easy undertaking? Only the king of kings will travel in all the eight directions and lay siege to all the scattered smaller countries and bring them under the sovereignty of Hastinapura. Your grandfather Shantanu brought such a glory to Hastinapura. After that you know about Bhishma. Had Chitrangada been crowned, he would have gone on digvijaya and brought fame to Hastinapura, but he died prematurely before coronation. Since then the fame of Hastinapura has dimmed. Only you can revive that glory. You can make the flag of Hastinapura flutter throughout the world.

Pandu

: You have given an excellent idea at the most opportune moment. I do not want to live a cloistered life. I was looking forward to such a chance. My shoulders and my legs are itching to go on a military conquest, but I do not know how my brother will agree to this proposal.

Shakuni

: Leave that worry to me.

Pandu

: In that case, I will go on digvijaya the next instant after ascending the throne and brother Dhritarashtra can rule Hastinapur. This is the best solution to the current issue.

Shakuni explains to his attendent Nilavan about his plans. Nilavan says after digvijaya Pandu's name would be inscribed in golden letters in the history, but Shakuni says the result could be either way: Pandu's name could be inscribed in the world history or at the place he might be buried, because Pandu might return as an emperor or as a corpse. Pandu's returning from the digvijaya are slim because of the tough campaigns involved, but if he did return alive and defeated, his self respect would not allow him to rule as an emperor.

Scene 5

Shakuni now goes to Dhritarashtra and Gandhari. Dhritarasyhtra is sitting morosely, not wanting to speak to anybody. Shakuni breaks this barrier with soft talk and gets his confidence. He talks of his role in getting his sister married to Dhritarashtra despite his father being not happy with the proposal. He talks of his sister's sacrifice in blindfolding her eyes for the sake of Dhritarashtra. Coming from the same soil of Gandhara, Shakuni's sole aim was to work for the welfare of Dhritarashtra.After gaining the confidence, Shakuni explains his game plan to Dhritarashtra who now agrees to it.
Pandu enters the room with Vidura to appease Dhritarashtra. Pandu mollifies Dritarashtra by saying that it was his intention to get out of the way after coronation. Dhritarashtra feigns to be angry, and Shakuni does his bit of cunning intervention, and it all ends with Dhritarashtra getting pacified and agreeing to cooperate.

Comments