Skip to main content

Pandu's Curse and Kunti's Revelation : Episode 21 ( 14-07-13)

Scene 1

Pandu goes hunting in the forest when he sees a male and a female deer courting each other. He aims an arrow and hits the male deer, who to Pandu's surprise, turns into a sage and his wife. The sage Rishi Kindama cries in anger and agony, and curses the king that he would die if he ever mated with his wife. Pandu pleads with the sage to revoke the curse, as it was an innocent and not a deliberate act, since he saw only one deer and the other was hidden from view. The sage is relentless and he and his wife die.
Pandu returns to the camp where his wives are waiting in anticipation, having decorated the bed with flowers, etc. A highly frustrated Pandu kicks and flings away everything in sight.

Kunti

: What's the matter with you? You went for hunting and you have come back highly disturbed. Sage Vyasa has marked today as the auspicious day for our nuptial night.

Pandu

: Now there is no need for auspicious dates. We just need to wait for death.

Kunti

: A great warrior like you should not lose heart or cry. Tell us what the matter is.

Pandu

: I can only cry for the sin I have committed. I do not qualify to be your husband. I killed Sage Kindama and his wife and the sage has cursed me with death if I have relations with my spouse. I deserve to die!

Madri

: Do not tear our heart with such harsh thoughts. Is sex the only important part of marriage? We treasure living with you more than anything!

Pandu

: My sin has punished me, but both of you have committed no sin, yet you have been forced to suffer with me!
As they commiserate together, Kunti remembers her past and wonders whether her sin in abandoning her baby has been responsible for the present malady. Both the queens then console the king.

Scene 2

Dhritarashtra and Gandhari are enjoying each others company; Gandhari is expecting the arrival of 100 sons that Sage Vyasa had promised.
On the other hand, Pandu is morose. He sends away the warriors and courtiers who had accompanied him to the jungle. The chief courtier approaches Bhishma and Satyavati who are pleasantly chit-chatting with Vidura and tells them he has important news to share with them.
Queen Satyavati is shattered to hear of Pandu's predicament and is perplexed how Vyasa's prediction of five sons for Pandu would ever come true. Bhishma assures her that Vyasa's words would never fail and they should anticipate the fruition of that boon.

Scene 3

Shakuni is seen perfecting the art of playing with dice. He has become adept at throwing the dice tactfully and getting the desired number. He tells his attendant Nilavan that fate has been extremely favorable to him; just when he takes four steps in a certain direction, the fate outsteps him with eight steps.
He rejoices hearing the news of Pandu's curse.
Satyavati is praying fervently. Bhishma visits her with the news of Gandhari's pregnancy, and the queen is overjoyed. They decide to inform Pandu about the developments through a messenger.
Shakuni visits his sister and congratulates the overjoyed couple on their impending parenthood and expresses his confidence that his own sons will become the emperor in the future.
The news of Dhritarashtra's impending fatherhood makes Pandu anxious and sad.

Scene 4

Kunti is brooding over the incidents during her adolescent years when she became pregnant and had to abandon her baby. Pandu joins her, ruing the curse that denied his wives their motherhood. Kunti says she was not thinking about herself but about how tortured Pandu's mind was when he received the news of Gandhari's pregnancy.

Pandu

: The news of my brother's fatherhood in the future is great indeed, but then it also mocks at my helplessness.

Kunti

: What to do? Pregnancy is a boon for some people, but it also becomes a curse for some.

Pandu

: What? How can the birth of a baby be a curse to anyone?

Kunti

: I was thinking of my friend Bhadra. She once served Durvasa very earnestly, and he was very pleased with her. So he taught her a mantra with which she could any god who would appear before her and grant her a baby. She is confused, and doesn't know if she could use the mantra.

Pandu

: Where is the confusion coming from? Do you know about my own birth? People think that my father was Vichitrveerya, but I was born by the grace of Vyasa. Not only me, even Dhritarashtra and Vidura are his offsprings. Do you know the secret of Vyasa's birth? Only then, you will truly appreciate the greatness of the mantras that your friend has learned. Vyasa was born to Rajmata Satyavati before her marriage to King Shantanu by the grace of Sage Parasara. Your friend is indeed fortunate to have received this mantra.

Kunti

: My Lord, whatever I described just now did not happen to my friend Bhadra but to me. I received the mantra from Sage Durvasa. When you were talking about Sage Kindama's curse, I was hesitant about suggesting this because I was wondering if the mantra given to me by Durvaasa is a curse or indeed a boon. When you spoke about Vyasa's birth, I realized the greatness of the mantra. Please forgive me for keeping away this fact from you.

Pandu

: Forgive you? You have lightened my heart. In fact I should thank you for this. I am so excited about seeing my five godly children as promised by Sage Vyasa.

Kunti

: My Lord, but there is some thing more I wish to talk to you about.

Pandu

: What more is there to talk about or discuss? The only thing we should think about presently is which god we should invite to father the children. Now let's make preparations for tomorrow's puja.

Kunti is thus prevented from discussing about Karna, her first child born prior to her wedding.

Scene 5

Pandu and Kunti sit together and pray. Pandu decides to invite the god of justice or dharma. The Dharma devata appears and they bow to him.
The news of Kunti's pregnancy reaches Hastinapura through a messenger. Bhishma and Satyavati rejoice over the happy tidings. Shakuni conveys the news to Dhritarashtra; but Dhritarastra is not worried, as he believes that Gandhari, having conceived first, would bear the first royal child who would inherit the throne of Hastinapura.


Comments