Skip to main content

Vyasa Unites With Ambika and Ambalika : Episode 9 (21-04-13)

Scene 1

Princess Ambika is seated on her bed, anxious and dressed in her bridal finery. Vyasa approaches her. Ambika is appalled by Vyasa's hideous and unkempt appearance and closes her eyes in fright.

The next day, Vyasa is seen approaching Ambalika, dressed similarly for her nuptial night. Ambalika too is horrified by Vyasa's appearance and she turns pale. The next day, Vyasa is offering the prayers to the goddess, when the maids bring two babies and lay them in front of the sage.

Queen Satyavati is delighted to see the babies and asks Vyasa to name them. Vyasa, with his Yogic insight is able to see their future and names them Dhritarashtra and Pandu.

Queen Satyavati wants to know about the future of the two new born babies, but Vyasa is reluctant to reveal it. Upon Queen's insistence, he tells her that Ambika had closed her eyes, disgusted by Vyasa's looks and so her son was born blind. Ambalika's face had turned sallow and hence her son would have short life.

Satyavati is devastated by the revelations. She entreats Vyasa to give one more offspring to the princess. Vyasa agrees, but says it would be the last time he obliged, and that she should not compel him any further.

Scene 2

Sivai, Queen's attendant and confidante, informs Ambika that Sage Vyasa was once again on his way to her chambers. Ambika shudders at the mere thought of this encounter. She starts thinking of the ways to escape this misery and calls out to Sivai. Sivai takes the place of Ambika when Vyasa enters her chamber at night.

The next day, Vyasa is seen performing his morning rituals, and Queen Satyavati wants to know if her desire for a worthy Kuru descendent had been fulfilled. Vyasa is hesitant, but the queen prods him on. Ambika, who is standing near, signals him to keep quiet. Vyasa takes leave of his mother, saying he would return soon.

Scene 3

Sage Vyasa goes to the river bank where Bhishma is leading his horses to let them drink water.

Bhishma

: You really came all the way to meet me!

Vyasa

: I wanted to take leave of you before I left Hastinapur.

Bhishma

: You made it possible for me to keep up my promise to my mother. You helped us in our crucial hour. Your sacrifice is unparalleled.

Vyasa

: I am repeating what I have said earlier. Your sacrifice is equal to mine. You gave up everything for your father. I gave what I had given up for my mother's sake. Sacrifice lies both in losing what one has and in giving away what one has. You are a protector not only of Hastinapur, but also of dharma.

Bhishma

: Finally my mind is rid of the worries for Hastinapur's future. There is no doubt that Hastinapur will flourish and grow to be a great empire and be well known in all the eight directions. Hastinapur, which was for ever steeped in misery, will see some peace at last.

Vyasa

(in an ironic tone): Peace in Hastinapur!

Bhishma

: My revered Guru, your inscrutable smile worries me. You know all the three 'times': past, present and future. Please tell me. What is the future of Hastinapur?

Vyasa

: Just now you said you were relieved of all worries about Hastinapur's future. Let it stay that way. I do not want to spoil it.

Bhishma

: My mind is tormented with bleak thoughts of Hastinapur's future. My future is linked with Hastinapur's future. It is my duty to protect it. I can never dissociate myself from it. Please do not mistake my insistence, and let me know what the future foretells us?

Vyasa

: What are you going to do after that? Do you think you can forestall the future events? Not only you, even the god who plans the future of this universe cannot alter its course. If you want to know the future of Hastinapur you love so much, you will agonize over it. No leave it. Let fate follow its course.

Bhishma

: No, no, my sole aim in life is Hastinapur and my parents have entrusted its care to me. I must know the truth, however harsh it is. You know I have the strength to bear any shock.

Vyasa

: In that case, come; follow me. Vyasa goes towards the river, closes his eyes in a brief meditation, sprinkles water from his water pot into the river. Bhishma sees several snippets of future events, including a woman being disrobed in the royal court, blood curdling war cries, clashing of steel swords and the river turning red with blood.

Bhishma

: What a tragedy! Is it all true? A schism in a family, a family feud – does that the entire country of Bharat into such destruction? Will the humanity perish over just a piece of earth?

Vyasa

: It is very sad to say, but that is the truth! We cannot change it.

Bhishma

: Will Hastinapur's prime citizen wager his wife in a dice game? Is a woman going to be disrobed in front of her husbands in the palace of Hastinapur?

Vyasa

: The saddest part of the story that the fate has written is that you are going to be a mute spectator of that shameful event. Not withstanding anybody trying to stop it,adharma will rear its head and this battle will certainly take place, and blood will flow like a river.

Bhishma

: If the blood-bath and the battle is inevitable, then who is going to deliver and protect us?

Once again, Vyasa utters a prayer and sprinkles some water into the river. Bhishma sees baby Krishna's childhood days eating butter, playing the flute and raising his hands in the protective 'abhaya hasta' mode. An ecstatic Bhishma bows in reverence, as Vyasa leaves.

Scene 3

Queen Satyavati is busy offering prayers to goddess. Sivai, the queen's attendant, is unusually tired and sick. As she fetches flowers for the worship, she totters and falls down. Queen Satyavati questions her and Sivai reveals to the queen that she is pregnant and has been sired by Sage Vyasa.

A shocked queen leaves immediately to Vyasa's hermitage.

Vyasa

: Welcome Mother! I knew you would come.

Queen

: I have come here in great confusion.

Vyasa

: Confusion will certainly pave way for clarity, Mother.

Queen

: I am not in a mood for intellectual or philosophical quibbles. I simply want to know the truth. Sivai says she is pregnant. Is it true?

Vyasa

: I am obliged to tell you the entire truth. Mother, you plan a certain way, but the Fate changes this game of Maths.

Vyasa narrates how he finds the queen's attendant Sivai on Ambika's bed. The queen is desolate and shocked.

Queen

: How can a child born to a servant or 'dasi' become a king?

Vyasa

: Mother, we often forget our own past.(Queen remembers her adolescent days.) Mother, I did not remind this to hurt you. This is the time to face the truth. Everything happens by the will of God. Even the number of breaths we take on this is pre-destined, and it cannot be altered. This is the game God is playing, and we do not know what is good or what is bad. He determines who should be born in whose womb. We do not get the right to choose either birth or death. He alone begins the game and he alone ends it. If you believe in this this, there is no cause for sorrow.

Queen

: But I have always grown to imagine that the future of Hastinapur is in my hands. It is not that easy to give up the idea. You must tell me the future of Sivai's child.

Vyasa

: Nobody is born an ordinary person or a Kshatriya. His own life determines that.

Queen

: Does it mean Sivai's son is going to rule this country?

Vyasa

: I did not say that! And even if he did so, there is no cause for shame or disgrace.

Queen

: I have to know about that child's future. Clear away my confusion so that I can find peace.

Vyasa

: Nothing untoward will happen that may cause you concern. He will excel in knowledge and bravery, and will be called Vidura. He will always stand by the side of Dhritarashtra and Pandu. But he will always face the humiliation for being a maid's son. Who can change Fate's verdict? Whatever had to happen, has happened. Mother, please do not delay Vichitraveerya's funeral any longer. Please make arrangements for that.

Scene 4

Amba is meditating before the Shiva Ling on the icy floors of Mount Kailasa. Lord Shiva appears before her.

Comments

Post a Comment